Friday 28 June 2013

The old Lamp Came Alive

I sat on my bed roll and watched as Lawaibe spent time fooling around with the old hurricane lamp. How in the world do these men and women do it I thought as fire was put to the wick and the old lamp came alive with light that penetrated the darkness? Then when he was satisfied with the light Lawaibe reached for his old bag and started digging around looking for his Bible.
As he opened the Bible to the book of Luke, the picture you see just came naturally; it was just too good to leave to wonder in my memory and to be forgotten in time. What a rush that came over me as I pondered the setting. Twenty-five years ago this was what we had in mind as we preached the gospel to our Bisorio brothers. I was a bit set back thinking here is a bush man that more than likely spends more time in God’s Word than I do.
Lawaibe was still reading when my weary mind drifted off to sleep. The next morning before day light I heard a man break the silence of the morning praying, thanking God for sending the missionaries to tell them the story of Jesus and His salvation. Yes you are right, it was Lawaibe. After maybe five or ten minutes another man began praying. How delightful to know the Holy Spirit has taught these men this faithfulness to pray and thank God for His goodness to them.
Listening to them pray I began to quietly pray with them thanking God for allowing me to witness these bush Christians worshiping God in this way. I also prayed for you that have been so faithful to pray for this work over the years, God bless you all. Jack Housley

No comments:

Post a Comment