Friday 28 June 2013

Muruk, Boat and Paddle

Muruk, Boat and Paddle
Thanksgiving Day – what do you think about as you look on the wonderfully spread table, the turkey, and all of the other nice trimmings that go with this special day? I myself can never look upon the turkey without this thought in mind, "What does the turkey think about all of this?" What was on his mind as he walked to the axe that day to become your Thanksgiving Day dinner?
Well, I think I know a bit how the turkey felt. I remember the day along a jungle river in Papua New Guinea that I thought a bird was going to have me for dinner. The Muruk or Cassowary, for all of you who have never seen one, is a smaller supped up version of an ostrich. With huge legs, somewhat like kangaroos, and three dagger-like toes that are four to six inches long, the Muruk is a bad dude to mess with anytime. It is reported to be one of the most dangerous birds alive and also one of the largest, weighing in at 120 to 130 pounds.
The fateful day was in 1978. Janie and I, with our two younger boys Wes and Darren, were traveling up the river with a load of cargo for Bob Kennel and George Walker. Now, when you are in a location like we were at that time, fresh meat can be hard to find. With this in mind, you can imagine how excited my wife was when she saw a Muruk swimming in the water ahead of our boat. "Fresh meat," she cried with excitement in her voice. "Get her Jack, and we’ll have her for supper!" Slowly we made our way alongside the Muruk, and I hit her on the head with my boat paddle. Not knowing that a Muruk has built-in head armor, I thought that would finish the job. The Muruk went under the water and swam to shore, jumped a high bank and disappeared into the jungle. Edging the boat to shore, I stepped out with the paddle in hand and pondered the fact our fresh meal was gone.
I realize from here on this story may be hard for you to believe, and if my wife hadn’t been there, the story would never have been told. Believe it or not, here goes. All of a sudden I heard the movement of the Muruk coming back through the jungle towards the river bank. "What is this?" I thought, as I watched the huge bird jump down the bank and stand before me eye to eye. New Tribes Mission didn’t mention this kind of situation during my training days so I thought I’d best back off as she came at me with her spear-like feet. For the next five or ten minutes I began to wonder if I was going make it out of this battle that must be fought. One of us would die before this day was finished. I remember hearing the two younger boys asking their mom, "Does he eats mans?" and the same question was running through my mind as well.
The first few minutes we just sized each other up as we made a circle on the river’s edge. Each time the big Muruk kicked out with those deadly claws, my heart would beat a bit faster. I knew that I wasn’t sufficient for this battle – but God was. I was so happy when He took control of the boat paddle and after a few terrifying moments, the Muruk lay dying at the edge of the water. I realized just how helpless I am without God. Friends, always pray for us, for one never knows what he will face before the day ends. Now I know what Paul felt like when he said he fought wild beasts at Ephesus, I fought my wild beast along the banks of a jungle river. King David mentioned that he was just a step from death. I realized that day, that I too, was just one step from death.

No comments:

Post a Comment