Friday 14 June 2013

Patterns

I believe most people’s eyes are open to the fact that we are living in the last days or at least over 2000 years closer to the day our Lord will say “enough, it is time”. I realize too there is still so much that needs to be done. The Word of God says we will be witnesses unto all the world before this will take place. It shall be done and I think from here on out it will be quickly getting done. I believe a different type of missionary will come back on the scene, you know like the ones in the beginning that was said to have turned the world upside down. We will need more “Paul like” missionaries and in fact he has said that we need to follow his example. “Be imitators of me, just as I am of Christ.” “Join in following my example and observe those who walk according to the pattern you have in us.” “The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me practice these things and the God of peace will be with you.” This can sound like all fun and games on the surface then we come face to face with the pattern laid out that Paul says we need to follow if we want the peace of God, knowing we are doing God’s work God’s way. I do not want to discourage you from following Paul in these last days but it will cost and I for one want you to count the cost before you get in line for missions in these last days. A servant of God following Paul’s example must be more than the norm. The norm will not do. II Corinthian 11 lays it out for us to think about. Carefully look and let your heart wrap around these truths and wonder just where we stand today in this context. Verse 23, are they servants of Christ, I more so; far more labours, far more imprisonments, beaten times without number, often in danger of death. Five times I received from the Jews thirty-nine lashes. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned; three times I was shipped wrecked, a night and a day I have spent in the deep. I have been on frequent journeys, in dangers from rivers, dangers from robbers, dangers from my countrymen, dangers from the Gentiles, dangers in the city, dangers in the wilderness, dangers at sea, dangers among false brethren: I have been in labour and hardship, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure. Apart from such external things, there is daily pressure on me of concern for all the churches. Then to top it off we might just stand alone in our last days. Paul said at his last defence before he died no one stood with him, but he said the Lord stood with me and strengthened me, so that through me the proclamation might be fully accomplished and the Gentiles might hear. This is what the modern Last Day Missionary will need to be for the great task that is still before us. This is much more than a prayer walk or a short term mission trip. This is men and women saying with Paul, “I do not consider my life of any account as dear to myself so that I might finish my course and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify solemnly of the gospel of the grace of God.” Jesus said, “Pray for labourers.” Really, this is what He wants? Paul is the pattern, I know this sounds hard and Jack Housley struggles with all that has to take place to walk this kind of life. Paul’s pattern we are to follow says, “We can do all things in Christ who strengthens us”. Now may you and I go, starting right where we are, with those nearest and preach Jesus then work our way to the ends of the earth by going, giving or praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment